Saturday, November 24, 2012

Shakespeare References in Beverly Clark's Wedding Toasts

Years ago when my brother announced his wedding plans, my mom - perhaps fearful that I would say horrible things at the reception - sent me a copy of Beverly Clark's Wedding Toasts. I didn't use any of the quoted material in it. I did, of course, quote Shakespeare, but didn't use either of the lines presented here.

In the chapter titled "Finding The Perfect Words" is this quote: "Brevity is the soul of wit. William Shakespeare (1564-1616) English writer" (page 45). That line is from Act II Scene ii of Hamlet, and it is a line spoken by Polonius.

Then, in the chapter titled "Traditional Toasts," we have this: "Heaven give you many, many, merry days! William Shakespeare (1564-1616) English poet and playwright" (page 68).  This is a line from The Merry Wives Of Windsor, though there shouldn't be a comma after the second "many."

No comments:

Post a Comment