Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Entire Country Needs A Macbath

The most beautiful woman in the universe sent me some gifts for the holidays, including two Shakespeare-related items that completely raised my spirits. Thinking they may do the same for you, I figured I’d better share some photos of them here.

Both are bars of soap. The first one I unwrapped is called “Lady Macbeth’s Guest Soap,” featuring a splash of blood on the label and the caption “Out, Damned Spot!” On the back, it combines lines from Macbeth with the soap’s ingredients: “…who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him or a vegetable soap with glycerine to have so much shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil and grapeseed oil enriched with creamy buttermilk?” Wonderful, right?

The second one is labeled “Wm. Shakespeare’s Bard Of Soap,” and contains a line from The First Part Of King Henry The Fourth: “Live cleanly, as a nobleman should.” There are playful references to other Shakespeare plays on the package, including these lines: “Much ado about bathing,” “For a midsummer night’s clean” and “For when love’s lather’s lost.”

I need to keep these items handy, because as long as Donald Trump and Mike Pence are allowed to remain in power, I will need to have my spirits raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment