Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Shakespeare Reference in How To Live With A Calculating Cat

Let me start by saying that, no, I don’t have a cat. I don’t even really like cats. And anyone who owns more than two cats should be put away for the good of society. But I did read a book titled How To Live With A Calculating Cat, and that book has a Shakespeare reference, because it seems that every book I read has to contain at least one reference. The reference in this book is to A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and specifically to Lysander’s line in Act I, “The course of true love never did run smooth.” Here the line is presented as “Among cats...... the course of True Love...... hardly ever…… runs smooth……” (p. ? – the book didn’t bother numbering the pages). Why the double ellipses? No fucking clue.

How To Live With A Calculating Cat was published in 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment