Monday, September 26, 2022

Shakespeare Reference in Space Station Seventh Grade

I was in Massachusetts, visiting my family, and going through a few things. I found my hardcover copy of Space Station Seventh Grade, a book I read when I was eleven or twelve. I had already finished the book I had brought with me, so decided to re-read this one. And, yes, it contains a Shakespeare reference. In a chapter taking place at Christmas, author Jerry Spinelli writes: "Ham liked his book. Burbage: Greatest Shakespearean Actor" (p. 123).

Space Station Seventh Grade was published in 1982. My hardcover copy was in perfect condition until I lent it to a classmate, who really screwed up the cover, as you can see in the photo, and bent several of the pages. That was the first and final time I lent anyone a book I cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment