Saturday, March 20, 2021

Shakespeare References in The Tale Of The Body Thief


As with the other books in The Vampire Chronicles, Anne Rice’s The Tale Of The Body Thief contains a couple of Shakespeare references. The first is a reference to Othello: “Well, I am not God. And I am not the Devil from hell, though I sometimes pretend to be. I am not the crafty cunning Iago. I don’t plot ghastly scenarios of evil” (p. 111). The other is a reference to Macbeth. Rice writes, “‘Well, the deed is done,’ Jake said in a low voice, his face rather rigid and abstracted as though he were not with us at all, but deep in thought” (p. 316). The line Macbeth actually speaks is “I have done the deed,” after he has killed Duncan.

The Tale Of The Body Thief was published in 1992. The First U.S. Ballantine Books Edition was published in October, 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment